Join Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s youth advisory council #cltmeckyouth
Be a civic leader
Be a civic leader, a voice for youth, and the solution for your school, neighborhood, and community. Join the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Council (CMYC), the official, youth-driven, and interconnected student advisory council for City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
Through the CMYC, high school students meet regularly to advise community leaders, represent and serve as a collective voice for young people, learn how to solve civic challenges, and join a diverse network of young civic leaders.
All local high school students are eligible to participate. CMYC welcomes students from public, charter, independent, religious, and home schools and youth organizations.
Two pathways to membership:
- Student representative nominated by your school or youth organization
- At-large member (self-nominated)
CMYC, a 21st century youth council, is a partnership between youth, the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, and GenerationNation, and is chartered by the State of North Carolina.
How do I sign up?
First, join the email and text list. Then attend a meeting!
The youth council usually meets 1-2 times a month. Most meetings are held on a Tuesday evening at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, 600 E 4th Street 28202. When you sign up, you will receive info, directions, etc. for each meeting. Free CATS passes and carpool information available to assist students with transportation.
Each CMYC member is asked to serve on at least one committee. CMYC members who fulfill extended membership, leadership, and service requirements are eligible to join the Executive Committee.
- CMS Committee (Superintendents Student Advisory Committee) supporting the Board of Education Student Advisor
- Local Government Advisory Team
- CMPD Chief Youth Advisory Committee
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Community Relations Committee Education and Young Leaders
- National League of Cities Youth Delegate Planning Committee
- NC State Youth Council Planning Committee
- Youth Lead Alumni
- Other committees, teams, and projects