Youth Voice - Leadership Alliance
Make a difference at school and in the community
Are you interested in the community? Serve in a leadership role or want to develop leadership skills? Write for your school's newspaper or blog about current events and government? Want to make a difference on school and community issues that impact youth?
Join Charlotte's youth leaders
All high school students are invited to participate in the Youth Leadership Alliance, Mecklenburg's youth council. Our goal is participation from 100% of area high schools. Make sure that you and your school are represented! The program is part of GenerationNation, a nonprofit K-12 education organization that partners with schools, youth programs and governments to educate and engage students to lead in their schools, communities and nation.
Tackle school and government policies and issues
Meet students who want to make a difference. Have important conversations with local leaders. Gain leadership skills and knowledge about government. Make a difference at your school and in our community. Activities include:
- Provide a youth perspective to help leaders make informed decisions on issues impacting students. Charlotte's youth council!
- Build leadership and communication skills, and collaborate with other student leaders
- Link your school to community leaders and government - and work with other students to build a Charlotte Mecklenburg Youth Council
- Discuss important issues with government officials and policy makers
- Learn about government, leaders and issues
- Question candidates for County Commission, Mayor and School Board
- Give feedback to community leaders on planning, policy and issues
- Talk with Charlotte Observer editors and report and other news media about their coverage of youth and important issues
- Weigh in on budget decisions
- Advise and participate in other GenerationNation efforts
Want to hear what students think about issues impacting youth? Contact us to set up a conversation with the Youth Leadership Council/YouthVoice or to schedule a student forum.
2012-13 Meeting Schedule
Be sure you are on the email list and check Facebook for updates. Most meetings are 6-8 PM at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, 600 E 4th Street 28202. Contact email@example.com to sign up or for more information.