Programs and Resources
GenerationNation educates and engages K-12 students to lead in their schools, communities and nation. Smart, fun, engaging programs tied to Common Core and other educational goals connect classroom activities with hands-on experiences to help students build civic literacy and leadership from an early age.
Program of work
Classroom and out-of-school time resources and tools
Civics and leadership in action
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Youth Council
- Kids Voting Mock Election
- Candidate Forum for Youth
- Youth Leadership Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Why does it matter?
When students learn and understand how their governments and communities work, and the ways citizens and leaders collaborate to solve problems at the local, state and national levels, they build essential knowledge and skills necessary for success at school, in the workplace, and for life.
- GenerationNation directly engages students in hands-on experiences to narrow learning opportunity gaps and build knowledge, interests, and skills.
- 35,000+ students engaged in 2013-14 learning opportunities including the youth council and mock election, with 9,500+ contact hours
- 100% of student participants learn about and engage in local government and community issues
- In the classroom, GenerationNation helps K-12 teachers to easily and effectively integrate civic literacy through lessons and tools aligned to core subjects, Common Core, and NC standards. In 2013-14, GenerationNation reached 170+ public, charter, independent, and religious schools and offered 100+ lessons and tools.